If you are traveling through the Memphis area near the Mississippi River, you will want to be aware of work on the Interstate 55 bridge, scheduled to begin June 9th, 2023. The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) plans to have contract crews on scene to close the I-55 Mississippi River Bridge. This will be to continue construction activities on the I-55 and West E.H. Crump interchange.
Activities include setting beams for the new Wisconsin Bridge, construction of a crossover at the east end of the I-55 bridge, and repair work on the I-55 bridge. All work is dependent on the weather.
Friday, June 9 from 8:00 pm until Monday, June 12 at 6:00 am
- I-55 SB will be closed at Bridgeport Road in Arkansas
- I-55 NB will be closed at South Parkway in Tennessee – Local traffic will be allowed to continue to the McLemore exit
- I-55 SB ramp will be closed
- Crump Boulevard WB will be closed – Local traffic only at South Third Street / will have to exit at Metal Museum Drive
- Crump Boulevard EB from Alston will be open
- Crump Boulevard WB ramp to Riverside Drive NB will be closed
- Riverside Drive NB will be closed
- Metal Museum Drive to I-55 NB will be closed
A detour will be posted.
Beginning Monday, June 12 at 6:00 am the below will describe the new traffic patterns.
- I-55 SB outside lane will be closed from the west end of the I-55 bridge through the project site and the SB inside lane will cross over at the east end of the I-55 bridge and share the current I-55 NB cloverleaf ramp with I-55 NB
- I-55 NB outside lane of the cloverleaf ramp will be closed to allow for I-55 SB use
- Crump Boulevard WB will be closed (local traffic only beyond South Third Street) – Crump WB local traffic to Metal Museum Drive will be able to utilize the detour that goes down Crump WB ramp to Riverside Drive NB / crosses over Riverside Drive / goes up Riverside Drive SB ramp to I-55 NB and then can exit at Metal Museum Drive
- Riverside Drive SB will remain closed at Carolina
- Riverside Drive NB will remain closed to Carolina
- Wisconsin will remain closed
- Channel 3 ramp to Riverside Drive SB will remain closed
- Channel 3 ramp from Riverside Drive SB will remain closed