The Benton School District has scheduled a Special Election for voters residing in the district to decide whether to extend the bond that voters approved for Benton Schools several years ago.
The following is info on 1. the purpose for the election, 2. the ballot wording and 3. the times and places to vote.
This video with Benton Superintendent Mike Skelton explains the purpose for the election.
Here is the sample ballot. Click to enlarge. See the text of it below the graphic.
- The total proposed school tax levy of 41.9 mills represents the same rate presently being levied. The total rate proposed above includes the uniform rate of tax 25.0 mills (the “Statewide Uniform Rate”) to be collected on all taxable property in the State and remitted to the State Treasurer pursuant to Amendment No. 74 to the Arkansas Constitution to be used solely for maintenance and operation of schools in the State. As provided in Amendment No. 74, the Statewide Uniform Rate replaces a portion of the existing rate of tax levied by this School District and available for maintenance and operation of schools in this District. The total proposed school tax levy of 41.9 mills includes 25.0 mills specifically voted for general maintenance and operation and 16.9 mills voted for debt service previously voted as a continuing levy pledged for the retirement of existing bonded indebtedness. The 16.9 existing debt service mills now pledged for the retirement of existing bonded indebtedness, which debt service mills will continue after retirement of the bonds to which now pledged, will be a continuing debt service tax until the retirement of proposed bonds to be issued in the principal amount of $33,920,000, and which will mature over a period of 30 years and will be issued for the purpose of refunding the District’s bonds dated October 15, 2011, and May 1, 2012, and erecting and equipping new school facilities and making additions and improvements to existing facilities. The surplus revenues produced each year by the debt service millage may be used by the District for other school purposes.
Early voting will be on May 2, 3, 4, 5 & 8, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at:
- Benton Vote Center at 221 N. Main St. in Benton.
Voting day will be May 9, 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. at:
- Bob Herzfeld Memorial Library, 1800 Smithers Dr., Benton
- Ralph Bunche Center, 1600 Dixie St., Benton
- FBC Family Life Center, 211 S. Market St., Benton
- Calvary Baptist Church, 612 Valley View Rd., Benton
- Ten Mile Baptist Church, 17511 Church Rd., Lonsdale