The public is invited to a memorial at the Saline County Courthouse on Thursday, May 18th, honoring fallen law enforcement officers.
The program begins at 9:30 a.m. at the gazebo. There will be a guest speaker and a presentation from the Benton Police Department Honor Guard.
Since January 1, 2017, there have been 49 police officer fatalities in the United States. That’s a 36% increase from this same period in 2016. There was a total of 143 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty in 2016. There were 51,548 assaults against law enforcement officers in 2015, resulting in 14,453 injuries.
To honor law enforcement officers during National Law Enforcement week (May 15-May 21), you can join others to:
- “Fly The Blue” ribbon on your car antenna,
- place a blue bow on the front of your home or business, and
- display a blue light on your porch.
- If you see an officer, tell them “Thank You.”
- Cards and letters of appreciation are welcome at all departments.
Recognition of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice and those who daily protect and serve is greatly appreciated.