UPDATE OCT 13, 2021
An election finally went the way of a local fire district after 27 years with no increase in the dues.
Salem Fire & Rescue thanked community residents for voting in the dues election Tuesday night. “We want to thank everyone who came out today to vote in our Special Election.”
The results were:
- 339 Total Votes
- 187 For the dues increase, or 55.16%
- 152 Against the dues increase, or 44.83%
PREVIOUSLY SEPT 8, 2021
The Salem Fire District will hold a special election on October 12, 2021 to ask the community for an increase in fire dues. There has not been an increase in 27 years. The annual fire dues would increase annually by $50.00. Before the election, there will be be three public meetings. See the schedule below.
According to a statement on the district’s social media, “Due to the rising cost of operations and an increase in call volume of 300% since the last dues increase in 1994, it has become necessary to ask our district for an increase in funding. We ask that the district please come and let your vote be counted.”
The meeting and election schedule are as follows:
- Tue Sep 7, 6pm. – Public Meeting at Salem United Methodist Church, 1611 Salem Road
- Tue Sep 14, 6pm. – Public Meeting at Kentucky Baptist, 7070 Highway 5
- Tue Sep 28, 6pm. – Public Meeting at Old Union Church, 12641 Highway 298
- Tue Oct 12, 7am until 7pm – Voting Day at Salem United Methodist Church, Kentucky Church and Old Union Church.
See below for specific information that the District/Department has provide to the public.
Those within the fire district will have one vote per parcel owned. For more information, visit: www.fundyourfd.com