Beginning October 1st, 2020, if you want to take a domestic flight or enter a federal building, facility or military base, you will need something called a REAL ID.
According to the Department of Homeland Security, the REAL ID improves the security of state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards. They say it also helps fight terrorism and reduces identity fraud. REAL IDs have a yellow circle with a white star in the middle on the upper right side of the license.
“When you make sure your family members have a REAL ID, you are taking the next step in protecting their personal identity from criminals,” said Attorney General Rutledge. “From everyday travel to national security, the REAL ID will enhance our safety from threats both foreign and domestic.”
To get this enhanced ID, you must present qualifying forms of identification that confirm your
- full legal name,
- date of birth,
- Social Security Number,
- proof of address and
- lawful status.
In Arkansas, you can get a REAL ID by bringing with them the qualifying forms of identification to these specific regional offices around the State. At this time, you cannot get REAL ID in the Benton or Bryant Revenue offices, but you can go to Little Rock or Hot Springs.
- Arkadelphia Revenue Office, 870-246-6733
- Batesville Revenue Office, 870-793-7441
- Bentonville Revenue Office, 479-273-2724
- Conway Revenue Office, 501-329-2601
- El Dorado Revenue Office, 870-863-3862
- Fayetteville Revenue Office, 479-442-7691
- Forrest City Revenue Office, 870-633-2512
- Fort Smith (East) Revenue Office, 479-452-7031
- Greenwood Revenue Office, 479-996-2143
- Harrison Revenue Office, 870-741-5501
- Hot Springs (DT) Revenue Office, 501-624-4472
- Jonesboro Revenue Office, 870-932-2716
- Little Rock (SW) Revenue Office, 501-682-0410
- Little Rock (West) Revenue Office, 501-324-9243
- Little Rock Revenue Central Office, 501-682-7076
- Monticello Revenue Office, 870-367-5226
- Mountain Home Revenue Office, 870-425-2571
- Paragould Revenue Office, 870-236-8755
- Russellville Revenue Office, 479-968-1526
- Searcy Revenue Office, 501-268-2802
- Sherwood Revenue Office, 501-835-6904
- Springdale Revenue Office, 479-751-4498
- Texarkana Revenue Office, 870-773-3871
- West Memphis Revenue Office, 870-735-1122
- White Hall Revenue Office, 870-247-5565
The cost is $40, the same amount as the standard non-enhanced state license. If your license is current, you can convert your license to a REAL ID for a $10 duplicate card charge.
Though a REAL ID does not expire for 8 years, the renewal process is simpler than when the original enhanced license is obtained. You will only need to bring qualifying forms of identification if your name, gender or Social Security Number have changed or if your date of birth was amended.
The standard driver’s license will remain valid for state-related purposes such as driving, banking and voting. A valid passport will be accepted to board airlines.