Looking for information on Shannon Hills Ballot Issue Number 10? You can find the wording of the issue and answers to many questions below.
Second Access to Emerald Mountain Subdivision
An ordinance to amend the code of ordinances for the City of Shannon Hills, Arkansas, by requiring the permanent opening of a second access point to the Emerald Mountain subdivision for the purpose of providing additional access for emergency vehicles and the general public; prohibiting the closure of such second access point to the Emerald Mount subdivision; amending the code of ordinances accordingly; setting an effective date of December 1, 2016; and for other purposes.
What is Being Proposed?
Issue 10 asks voters to amend the code of ordinances for the City of Shannon Hills. If approved by voters, Issue 10 would:
- Keeps the City of Shannon Hills from using City resources (funds, employees, equipment) to close public access through the intersection of the two public roads Skyline Drive and E. Azalea Drive.
What is Not Being Proposed?
If approved by voters, Issue 10 would not do any of the following:
- It does not create a new intersection or extend any roads.
- It does not require that the intersection of Skyline and E. Azalea Drive be opened.
- It does not require any street improvements (including paving, widening, or grading).
- It does not restrict any other entity from legally closing or opening the intersection of Skyline and E. Azalea Drive.
- It does not cause any tax increases and does not require any Shannon Hills tax dollars to be spent.
If Passed, When Would the Ordinance take Effect?
The initiated ordinance would go into effect December 1, 2016.
Intersection in Question
Google Maps (link)
Verified Timeline of Events
- Before Emerald Mountain or Carrington Place were constructed, the two public dirt roads Skyline Drive and E. Azalea Drive intersected.
- Today, both Skyline Drive and E. Azalea Drive are both public roads that intersect.
- Between 2006 and 2016, the intersection of Skyline and E. Azalea Drive was periodically gated or obstructed.
- On August 23, 2016, a petition that had been circulated by Justice of the Peace Everette Hatcher was signed by over 250 citizens of Shannon Hills and submitted to Shannon Hills City Hall to put Issue 10 on the November ballot.
- Before September 4, 2016, the intersection between Skyline and E. Azalea Drive was opened.
- On October 12, 2016, the dirt section of E. Azalea Drive near the intersection with Skyline Drive was graded and gravel added.
 “Arkansas Centerline File.” Arkansas GIS Office. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Oct. 2016. Web map (link). The “Roads All ACF” layer is dated and shows the public dirt City Roads before the development of Carrington Place or Emerald Mountain. The “Roads ACF” layer shows the current roads.
 Author confirmed by reviewing historical aerial photography provided within Google Earth.
 Author confirmed by reviewing Saline County GIS records (link).
 Report by Mayor Mike Kemp to City Council during August 2016 City Council Meeting.
 As reported by Sean Massey on September 4, 2016.
 As reported by Rex White on October 20, 2016.