BNPD officers responded to Fountain Lakes Apartments, building #4, around 12:45 p.m. Saturday August 24th, in reference to shots fired. Upon arrival, officers spoke with victim James Matthews, 20, of Benton, who stated two black males, one identified as Shayne Simmons, 20, of Little Rock, the other unidentified, knocked on his apartment door and were allowed to enter. Simmons entered a bedroom and the unidentified male fired shots at Matthews.
Simmons fled the scene but was later located in Little Rock. He was transported to BNPD where he was charged with:
- Aggravated Robbery,
- Unauthorized Use of Another Person’s Property to Facilitate Certain Crimes, and
- Criminal Mischief First Degree.
During the course of the investigation, illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia were located in Matthews’ residence. He was also taken into custody and charged with:
- Maintaining Drug Premises,
- Possession of a Controlled Substance Schedule II,
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia,
- Tampering with Physical Evidence and Use of Another Person’s Property to Facilitate a Crime.
Matthews’ brother, Alexander Washington, 19, of Dermott, was also taken into custody for:
- Tampering with Physical Evidence
…after it was learned he hid drug proceeds in his vehicle.
BNPD Criminal Investigations Division has assumed the investigation, which remains ongoing. More details and charges may be forthcoming.
Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Benton Police Department at 501-778-1171 or 501-315-TIPS. Anonymous tips may also be sent via text to CRIMES (274637) with the keyword BNPD in the body of the message, via the official Benton Police Department app available on iTunes and Google Play or at www.crimereports.com.