Let’s get an update and overview on the Career Technical Education (CTE) School to be built on the west side of Benton. Construction is beginning in the next few months and the goal is to have it open for class in 2021.
The Saline County Economic Development Corporation, Saline County Judge and Quorum Court, our local school districts, chambers of commerce and state legislators worked to put it to a vote on the November 2018 General Election ballot, for a countywide sales and use tax of 0.375% to build a CTE School. The project is projected to be paid off in 12 years or less. The majority vote by the public was yes, and so the process began.
In the present, the Quorum Court just met Monday night, March 4th, 2019 to approve interest rates deal with the bond money in that process. The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette has details in this article.
The plans are to locate the school off Interstate 30 North, off Exit 114, at Mountain View Road. College of the Ouachitas – who recently became part of the Arkansas State University System – will staff the facility. See more about the project at http://trainstaysaline.com.
- SEP 13, 2018 3 Chambers and 6 Schools Hope to Pass Issue 6; Info & Training Session Sept 24th
- Video: Cornwell Explains Issue 6 on Ballot – CTE School for the County
- On the November Ballot: Sales Tax for a CTE School
- JUL 6, 2018 – Quorum Court to Meet July 16 – New School, Roads, Grants
- JUN 15, 2018 – County JPs to consider Special Election for CTE School, Court Security, more at Monday Night Meeting
- SEP 26, 2016 – Video: Career Technical School Planned for Saline County to Involve 7 School Districts
- SEP 6, 2016 – Saline County Economic Development Corporation to Host Informational Meeting Regarding Workforce Education
- AUG 17, 2016 – The Public Is Invited Sept 14th to a Presentation for the New School Coming
- FEB 20, 2016 – Big New School Proposed for Saline County for High School Students
- FEB 17, 2016 – Civ & Gov News: A New School, Bauxite K-9, County Website, New Water, Big Red, Shoppes Reveal, Hwy Widening