By Kaitlynn Garrett
Hi, my name is Kaitlynn, and I have an addiction to Chick-fil-A. In my head, those of you who are reading this are saying “Hi, Kaitlynn. We do too.” Am I right? Please say that I’m right.
However, as I’m writing this, I’ve started a new online challenge. It’s called “75 Hard.” I won’t go into all the details here, but one of the main rules is that you stick to your nutrition plan (whatever that looks like for you) for 75 days. No cheating. AKA no Chick-fil-A for Kaitlynn.
Now, I’m sure that there are a lot of people who might say that we need the Lord’s chicken in moderation. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for balance and moderation, because I’ve been on extremely restrictive diets before and I definitely don’t advocate for them. In this case, however, 75 Hard is more of a mental toughness challenge than a traditional diet. It’s more about proving to myself that I really don’t need a large number two combo with a sprite and honey mustard when I’m feeling sad to make me feel better.
So, after having my own little last supper of Chick-fil-A Saturday night, I began planning out some of the meals I’ll be eating this week. Just because I’m not eating fast food, doesn’t mean I can’t make healthier alternatives. If you like chicken nuggets with a lot of flavor, this one is definitely for you!
If you’re anything like me, you’re in a serious relationship with your air fryer. That’s what I will be using for my chicken, but baking in the oven on 400˚ for about 20 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through) will work, too! I’ll also be serving mine with roasted asparagus, carrots, and potatoes. These will be made in the oven for time’s sake.
- 1 lb. Chicken (I used thighs)
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- ½ tsp. Paprika
- ¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- ½ Cup Parsley
- Red Potatoes
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp. Rosemary
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to a mixing bowl.
- Coat with the olive oil, add all of your spices, and combine
- Cook in the air fryer (according to your settings) or in the oven at 400˚ for about 20 minutes.
- Cut and prepare vegetables. For potatoes, I always rinse once they are cut and let them soak for a few minutes to take some of the starchiness out.
- On a lightly greased sheet pan, lay out your vegetables in sections.
- For the carrots, mix with a little olive oil and salt to your liking
- For the potatoes, mix with a little olive oil, rosemary, and salt.
- For the asparagus, mix with a little olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Roast these in the oven on 400˚ for about 20 minutes. Be sure to stir at least one time while cooking.
- In a pan on the stove, melt the butter on medium-low heat. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and cook until combined.
- Add the cooked chicken to the sauce and mix until it’s evenly coated.
- Serve up those delicious nuggets and vegetables!
It may not be exactly like Chick-fil-A, but I think it scores pretty high in a category all on its own! I hope that you get the chance to enjoy this recipe!