Benton Mayor David Mattingly called a news conference at the Benton Event Center today to make several announcements related to economic development. Here’s the outline of what was announced:
- Mayor Mattingly talked about Benton being #5 in the state for the Arkansas Tech Business Index.
- Fire Chief Bill Ford and Police Chief Kirk Lane discussed their departments’ needs and unveiled the floorplan and elevation illustrations for the new combo fire & police substation to be constructed at 1709 Highway 5 North (near Harps Grocery). Chief Ford highlighted that he has never had a pole in his fire station, but this one is to be two stories and WILL have a pole!
- A new restaurant chain is coming to the Shoppes of Benton. It’s a train-themed restaurant that delivers food to your table by little cars on rails. It’s called All Aboard Restaurant & Grill.
- Tuesday Morning has also signed on as a tenant at the Shoppes of Benton.
- We already knew, but it was officially announced today that Planet Fitness is going in the old bowling alley on Military Road.
- Illustrations were unveiled for the ACDI building being constructed in downtown Benton at the old Harvest Foods location.
- Wade Partridge of the UALR Advisory Board announced that UALR Benton is growing in enrollment by 15% each year. It’s important for the economy because 55% of enrollment has been students from outside Saline County. UALR Benton will start a 6-week course starting in the Fall called Launch U, that helps people startup a business, ends with a business plan good for investors to review, and the program even offers startup money for businesses. They’ll also start non-credit programs for things like Quick Books, Photography and ACT Prep. See the video for other announcements Partridge made.
- Lastly, the Mayor announced a budgeted 3.5% COLA increase/raise (Cost of Living Allowance).
You can see more info on the Benton Proud blog here: