Shelli Poole posted blog posts
12 minutes ago
Judy Woodall is now a member of MySaline.com
43 minutes ago
Thelma Edwards Poole posted blog posts
14 hours ago
Thelma Edwards Poole posted events
14 hours ago
Thelma Edwards Poole commented on Shelli Poole's blog post Maybe You Noticed That My Name Is Changed. Here's Why.
15 hours ago
Alex N. Der posted a blog post
20 hours ago
Shelli Poole commented on Shelli Poole's blog post 911 - Camper Stash, Fake Story to Enter Homes, Don’t Club Me Bro, Neglecting Invalid Mom, Drugged Neighbor Wanders In
yesterday
Shelli Poole commented on Shelli Poole's blog post Maybe You Noticed That My Name Is Changed. Here's Why.
yesterday
Ashley Hatcher commented on Shelli Poole's blog post 911 - Camper Stash, Fake Story to Enter Homes, Don’t Club Me Bro, Neglecting Invalid Mom, Drugged Neighbor Wanders In
yesterday
RussellSteed posted a blog post
yesterday
Julie Smith posted a blog post
yesterday
Carissa Lumpkins posted a blog post
Saturday
Terry Griggs posted a blog post
Saturday
Emily Laurel commented on Shelli Poole's blog post Maybe You Noticed That My Name Is Changed. Here's Why.
Saturday
Ken Morris commented on Shelli Poole's blog post Maybe You Noticed That My Name Is Changed. Here's Why.
Friday
Your Computer People posted a blog post
Friday
Jason Kavanaugh commented on Shelli Poole's blog post Bryant School District Gives the What, Why & How of the March 2015 Millage Increase Election
Friday
Cliff Mcclendon is now a member of MySaline.com
Friday
Shelli Poole posted blog posts
Friday
Shelli Poole's blog post was featured
Friday

You should really read this part:

It's been policy MySaline's since October 2013... Use your real first and last name as your username. Use the Settings link to change it. Don't be afraid to update your profile pic while you're there!  You're beautiful!

Opinions expressed on MySaline.com are not necessarily those of MySaline. Members are responsible for their own content. Read the terms of service on your profile page. Read it. Read.

Contact MySaline with questions about the website, advertising, donating to support MySaline, or any other reason:

PO Box 307, Bryant AR 72089, 501.303.4010, info@mysaline.com

MySaline.com is news & community since 2007 in Saline County, Arkansas. Join today and get involved!

I know, Shelli's finally lost her nuggets, right? No but I mean it. Exercises like these - where we come up with all kinds of scenarios, wacky and serious - are good for new ways of thinking about how things work.

Government, sports, retail, taxes, first responders, poverty, parks, sidewalks, animal control, media outlets, jobs, real estate, safety and more.

So what are some good and bad things that could come from these two fabulous cities blobbing their electrifying whateverisms together?

Tags: Benton, annex, arkansas, bryant, colors, consolidate, government, retail, saline, schools, More…sports

Views: 149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with your second point. And, yes, it's obvious that school districts have nothing to do with municipal boundaries. Most towns in Arkansas are not so intertwined with their neighbors though. I've lived in several and never before seen the type of confusion we have in this area.

Indeed, LR has more than one high school. So does Hot Springs, Fayetteville, Conway and North Little Rock. We wouldn't have to merge schools, or even districts, but of course the idea is there.

Somebody said higher taxes. Why would two things merging together suddenly cost more than they did separately? Is there a marriage tax on cities?

Yes, there would be a loss of jobs, but anybody whose term is up chances losing their job anyway. As for non-elected jobs that can be consolidated, people can stay on and do a different job.

There will always be fear of change and new ways of doing things. Nobody likes the new Facebook. Guess what - that's why they don't tell you before they change!

I do wonder why someone thinks people will move away from where they are now. Becquse there are a few extra letters on the envelopes in their mailbox? ZIP+4 hasn't killed us yet. People did move from the States because of that. Would they leave. Ecause of their areas being serviced by public safety exactly the same or more efficiently than it was before? Would residents be upset about teachers - those who have a big hand in our children's life-preparedness - getting paid closer to what they're worth? (They're worth millions, but we can't afford that.)

Let's get some answers too, about exactly why bigger is not better in this case.

I asked my husband a couple of years ago if he thought this would ever happen.  The communities are so intertwined now no one really knows most of the time which boundries they are in unless you are in old town areas.  I grew up here and I do feel a connection to one town more than the other BUT I have ties to the other town now as well.  Those ties get stronger as I meet more people and attend more events. Shelli makes some good points. I don't think it will happen though - at least not in the next couple of decades. It would probably take a very large number of supporters making a very loud noise to make it happen. The arguments would be many and endless. It makes my head hurt to think about it!!

Bauxite was once the booming metropolis around these parts.  That may surprise a few of the "new" people that live in Saline County.  Bauxite was the big town. Benton and Bryant were pasture.  Anyway, I think there are definitely some benefits to consider. I would be open-minded enough to listen but I'm not sure you would ever get that horse out of the gate - especially in Benton.  Good luck with that Shelli.  I'll be interested to see what others have to say on here. 

Mayor Dabbs would have to hire more people to help her run the merging cities. I guess Benton could be

a sub-station to Bryant since Bryant is more progressive.

Not going to ever happen, too many kids, already have two new high schools, etc. But, I like the name Brenton!
No no y no.  
You are right on!  I know of one fabulous 5th grade teacher in Bryant that is one of the smartest women I know.  It's a shame that one bad apple spoils the bunch.

steven poteet said:
Funny thing about getting better teachers when there is a 5th grade teacher at Bryant that is being a teacher and not a baby sitter that is getting reprimanded. That type of action will steer good teachers away from Bryant schools even if the money is better.

Please, no more than 10 aldermen.

I say the new name is Benton.

Is the city sales tax rate 1.5% (Benton) or 3% (Bryant)?

I very ironic statement from Shirley Reynolds...

This would have ZERO impact on school districts.  Have we not learned that by now?

IT SEEMS THAT EVEN THE PEOPLE IN BENTON LIKE BRYANT BETTER; IT IS BY FAR MORE PROGRESSIVE THAN BENTON SEEMS TO BE.BRYANT HAS BETTER PAARKS AND THEIR NEW SENIOR CENTER AND BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB AND SO ON AND SO ON.  LIKE THE BEATLES SAID    " LET IT BE, LET IT BE LET IT BE"  I KNOW IT IS FUN TO TALK ABOUT A MERGE AND, SHELLI, I HAVE TO HAND IT TO YOU, YOU SURE STIRED THING UP, CONGRATULATIONS ON PICING A TOPIC THAT CAUSED SUCH AGREAT RESPONSE!!!!   AL SMITH

Fred said:
I don't know why Bryant would want to merge with Benton. Seems like one town is stepping ahead and the other is falling behind. Alcoa is the only thing saving Benton right now.
Brad, I am not taking anything away from the newly elected Mayor of Benton, he's a nice man and Ms. Dabbs is a nice lady.  Since Bryant seems to be growing more than Benton normaly the most agressive is the one holding the cards. Both towns are great.  I do not see them ever being consolidated.  Shelli just wanted to get everybody blogging again.
And Sheli did a great job; didn't she!!  Al Smith

I happen to live in Benton. I do love the schools and Bernard Holland Park is something we can be proud of! But, not alot else going on. No swimming, glorified soccer field, football is in limbo....

We did get a ...'chicken express'.... (insert sarcasm here....)

Where's the 'Like' button to agree with the statement that Bryant is more progressive than Benton. There are way too many people in this town that still think it is Mayberry!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Shelli Poole.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service