Put your ad on MySaline! 501.303.4010

Click to see the Complete List of 2014 Candidates for State, County, City & School Board Races.

Members

Latest Activity

Brian Handel commented on Shelli Russell's blog post I'm Curious to Know Some Things About MySaline Readers
3 hours ago
Carlton Clay posted a blog post
4 hours ago
Profile Iconkaylin fike and John Murphy joined MySaline.com
8 hours ago
Cara Smith commented on Shelli Russell's blog post I'm Curious to Know Some Things About MySaline Readers
yesterday
Cara Smith commented on Kenny Nony's blog post WELCOME FALL
yesterday
Thelma Edwards Poole posted events
Friday
Shelli Russell posted blog posts
Friday
Shelli Russell's blog post was featured
Friday
Kenny Nony posted a blog post
Friday
Wendy commented on Shelli Russell's blog post Sex Offender Has New Address on Congo Ferndale
Friday
Betty Cummings might attend Shelli Russell's event
Thumbnail

Bryant Farmer's Market at Midtown Pavilions at Midtown Bryant Farmer's Market Pavilions

September 20, 2014 from 8am to 2pm
Friday
Donna Jones posted a blog post
Friday
Profile IconTom n5tti, Amanda Seese, Andy Pierce and 1 more joined MySaline.com
Friday
Mike Parsons commented on Shelli Russell's blog post I'm Curious to Know Some Things About MySaline Readers
Thursday
Dale Fisher commented on Shelli Russell's blog post I'm Curious to Know Some Things About MySaline Readers
Thursday
Kelli commented on Shelli Russell's blog post I'm Curious to Know Some Things About MySaline Readers
Thursday
Kenny Nony commented on Shelli Russell's blog post I'm Curious to Know Some Things About MySaline Readers
Thursday
Kenny Nony commented on Shelli Russell's blog post I'm Curious to Know Some Things About MySaline Readers
Thursday
Shelli Russell commented on Shelli Russell's blog post I'm Curious to Know Some Things About MySaline Readers
Thursday
Alex N. Der posted a blog post
Thursday

It's been policy MySaline's since October 2013... Use your real first and last name as your username. Use the Settings link to change it. Don't be afraid to update your profile pic while you're there!  You're beautiful!

Opinions expressed on MySaline.com are not necessarily those of MySaline. Members are responsible for their own content. Read the terms of service on your profile page. Read it. Read.

Contact MySaline with questions about the website, advertising, donating to support MySaline, or any other reason:

PO Box 307, Bryant AR 72089, 501.303.4010, info@mysaline.com

MySaline.com is news & community since 2007 in Saline County, Arkansas. Join today and get involved!

County Judge not allowing flag over Confederate Memorial on Courthouse lawn

It is the beginning of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War and no flag is allowed to fly over the Confederate soldier monument at the CH.  The monument was privately purchased and the then County Judge, Del Roberson, allowed a flag pole which flew a 3rd National Confederate Flag.  It flew until 2008 when Lanny Fite and his wealthy supporters from HSV on the veterans committee as well as at least one of his local members decided they were not going to allow it to fly anymore.  No complaints had been made, no issues, just that they didn't want any to arise.  The flag had been "removed" a number of times and it was always replaced. 

The memorial area is to memorialize all veterans from Saline County.  However, our Confederate veterans (approximately 1200 served and 254 died) are not allowed the same honor.  The veterans committee states it has to be a service flag. Well there were no service flags then.  It is apparent the HSV contingent may be from somewhere else and convinced the Judge he didn't need it up. 

At any rate, these men fought for their lands and homes when called upon to do so.  Many died, more than all other Saline County men from all the other wars combined.  Yes they fought for their own country at that time, and only did so when forced to either send troops to fight their relatives in other states and to defend against invasion.  This is a huge shame for Saline County.  These men came back, rebuilt the city and county and helped make it what it is today.  How many people remember the name Bush, Hughes, Hockersmith, Medlock, Shoppach, Ashby, etc.  all CSA vets?  It is time the people know what elected officials are up to. 

Many tourist dollars could be brought in with 150th anniversary events but the judge is not planning to recognize anything much like he tried to do with not acknowledging the 175th anniversary of the founding of the County.  It is just such a shame the judge does not have intestinal fortitude to do the right thing.  The movement is building however to correct this and hopefully many Saline Countians will join in this effort to honor those veterans, Americans too, and their hardships and sacrifices.

Views: 374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am in concurrence with flying the state flag. These men did go serve and fight for what they believed in. When digging into history you will find that the war was not over slavery. With that said I believe it would be to all our benefits here to emphasize that slavery and racism is an embarrassing part of our history. If we can avoid offending anyone, we should! I do not believe that our County Judge was influenced by 'people with money' when making this decision. It was made with the best interest of the county in mind. Since these men did fight for their state's rights, I believe that the state flag should suffice. Just my opinion!

Proud to serve,

LG

Here's some reality to go along with Sam's, which was a nice addition to this thread.

The seditionists took up arms aginst their country and they didn't win the war. That's why the US govt. does not need to

erect a monument that honors them. Recognition and honor aren't the same thing.

Lee was a West Point graduate who took up arms against his country. And lost.

The war which saw the most USA casualties was the Civil War. This is true only you realize that the confederates were still citizens of the USA and not the CSA which by reason of not winning the war,didn't actually exist as a country.

The Arkansas flag has ONE star denoting the CSA. The other stars represent other flags that have flown over the state.

The Little Rock paper recently had an article about Marshall, Arkansas which mentions that the city leaders there understand why they shouldn't be officially honoring the people who TOOK UP ARMS against the USA. And didn't win the war.

I wasn't alive but I am a graduate of LRCH.  If I recall my history lessons accurately, I believe Eisenhower sent the 101st Airborne to the state in September 1957.  It was snowy?

Not sure what the quotes mean around "invaded."  The Airborne division sent to Little Rock was the same division that fought with distinction in Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge.  If they are fighting the Nazis in WWII they are war heroes if they are enforcing federal laws on behalf of citizens being denied their civil rights, they are "invaders?" 

I don't know the historical context of Benton High School integration but if that is true then Benton integrated with a lot more grace than did Little Rock. 

I agree. The PBS documentaries on the Civil War are very instructive namely, Ken Burns' Civil War.  I watched if for the 3rd time last Fall and had my sons watch it with me.

I will add that not flying the Confederate Flag is the right decision.

David Hughes said:

I'm also curious how many of you were living in Arkansas in 1957 when our state was again "invaded" by the federal army. I was just a kid, but can still remember that snowy picture on channel 7 of the 101st Airborne marching across the Broadway Bride from Dogtown to Little Rock. I am not saying what brought them here was right, but our problems were minor compared to others in southern and a lot of northern states. No northern states had federal troops on their streets and at their schools.

I am proud that when the Benton schools were finally desegregated there was little or no problems (it began with our graduating class of 1967, btw,,,) One reason was because of a young black man named Chester Wilson who was a star athlete and a great guy. ......

On a related note, the Confederate Flag is posted on this sign in this cemetery in Benton... http://www.mysaline.com/photo/where-in-saline-county-am-i-2?context...
I believe David meant the picture on TV was "snowy."  Ya know, back before cable or satellite service.

Drew said:

I wasn't alive but I am a graduate of LRCH.  If I recall my history lessons accurately, I believe Eisenhower sent the 101st Airborne to the state in September 1957.  It was snowy?

Not sure what the quotes mean around "invaded."  The Airborne division sent to Little Rock was the same division that fought with distinction in Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge.  If they are fighting the Nazis in WWII they are war heroes if they are enforcing federal laws on behalf of citizens being denied their civil rights, they are "invaders?" 

I don't know the historical context of Benton High School integration but if that is true then Benton integrated with a lot more grace than did Little Rock. 

I agree. The PBS documentaries on the Civil War are very instructive namely, Ken Burns' Civil War.  I watched if for the 3rd time last Fall and had my sons watch it with me.

I will add that not flying the Confederate Flag is the right decision.

David Hughes said:

I'm also curious how many of you were living in Arkansas in 1957 when our state was again "invaded" by the federal army. I was just a kid, but can still remember that snowy picture on channel 7 of the 101st Airborne marching across the Broadway Bride from Dogtown to Little Rock. I am not saying what brought them here was right, but our problems were minor compared to others in southern and a lot of northern states. No northern states had federal troops on their streets and at their schools.

I am proud that when the Benton schools were finally desegregated there was little or no problems (it began with our graduating class of 1967, btw,,,) One reason was because of a young black man named Chester Wilson who was a star athlete and a great guy. ......

I don't know about the troops marching across the Little Rock Bridge but when the troops were called out

to intergrate Central High School, it was the National Guard called out by Governor Faubus instructed by

the President. 

The people that their ancestory was in slaved although they were not accepted are still better off today

then they would be in other countries right now. So we should all be thankful that we live in America,

regardless of what flag is flying right now.

Not quite right. Gov. Faubus activated the Arkansas National Guard to BLOCK the students.  The 101st Airborne was called out by the President to ensure the students were allowed into the school.  Then the President federalized the ARNG to in order remove them from the governor's authority. 

Shirley Reynolds said:

... but when the troops were called out

to intergrate Central High School, it was the National Guard called out by Governor Faubus instructed by

the President. 

Well said

Anthony Rushing said:

Yes I am, I founded the local chapter of the SCV and was founding president of the Saline County History and Heritage Soceity as well.  I am also an Iraq veteran of the ARNG.  And yes we have met with the Judge and the committee on more than one occassion.  There will be those (as below) who do not understand or care, but this is about honoring Saline Co. veterans of all wars.  We cannot judge our ancestors by our ideals and values of today.  I can say Saline Co veterans did not desire to secede or fight until required to fight against other southern states or in defense of their homes later.  THis is not about the causes and political correctness of today but honoring our ancestors and veterans.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Shelli Russell.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service