Put your ad on MySaline! 501.303.4010

Latest Activity

Shelli Russell posted events
2 hours ago
Shelli Russell posted blog posts
2 hours ago
Shelli Russell commented on Shelli Russell's blog post Reward Amount for Arrest and Capture of Missing Inmate, Buffington
2 hours ago
Thelma Edwards Poole commented on Shelli Russell's blog post Reward Amount for Arrest and Capture of Missing Inmate, Buffington
3 hours ago
Ashley Hatcher commented on Jennifer Floyd's blog post Road rage on Benton parkway
13 hours ago
Alex N. Der posted a blog post
19 hours ago
Terrie Hawkins commented on Kenny Nony's blog post Misdelivery of mail
19 hours ago
Shelli Russell commented on Kenny Nony's blog post Misdelivery of mail
22 hours ago
Kenny Nony posted a blog post
23 hours ago
Kenny Nony commented on Thelma Edwards Poole's blog post Campaign Hobby Lobby - Saline County
23 hours ago
Relay for Life of Saline County posted events
23 hours ago
Shelli Russell posted a status
"Got a question or concern or news? Post a blog entry. Here's the direct link: http://www.mysaline.com/profiles/blog/new"
yesterday
Shelli Russell commented on Thelma Edwards Poole's blog post Campaign Hobby Lobby - Saline County
yesterday
Shelli Russell posted blog posts
yesterday
Profile IconPaul Nosser and Ashley Heath joined MySaline.com
yesterday
Thelma Edwards Poole posted a blog post
yesterday
Reporter posted a blog post
yesterday
Cara Smith commented on Cara Smith's blog post Internet providers in Benton - opinions please
yesterday
Shelli Russell posted a status
"Listen for me live on KARN 102.9fm at 8:10am, talking about what's going on in Saline County right now. KARN is also on iHeartRadio."
yesterday
Jennifer Floyd commented on Jennifer Floyd's blog post Road rage on Benton parkway
yesterday

It's been policy MySaline's since October 2013... Use your real first and last name as your username. Use the Settings link to change it. Don't be afraid to update your profile pic while you're there!  You're beautiful!

Opinions expressed on MySaline.com are not necessarily those of MySaline. Members are responsible for their own content. Read the terms of service on your profile page. Read it. Read.

Contact MySaline with questions about the website, advertising, donating to support MySaline, or any other reason:

PO Box 307, Bryant AR 72089, 501.303.4010, info@mysaline.com

Members

MySaline.com has been introducing neighbors and building community since 2007 in Saline County, Arkansas. Join today and get involved!

What is your thoughts about this ordinace that is being proposed at the next council meeting. Is it the goverment taken away more rights? Or is it saving children from injurys?

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No.... I think we need to ask " Daddy Gubment" if he will please allow us "dummies" to exercise our rights (if we are smart enough and all!!)
And I'm the one who has been called a left wing liberal on here?!?!?! WTH!!!!

The Anonymous said:
Dummies may not have to have guns to be dangerous, but should we really just let it be that much easier for them??
I'mo hurt chu guys. I changed it to "dummies." Didn't you learn from the "shoot your eye out kid" that you can get your mouth washed out with soap? Keep it clean for the kids reading.
Sorry, Shelli!!

Shelli Russell said:
I'mo hurt chu guys. I changed it to "dummies." Didn't you learn from the "shoot your eye out kid" that you can get your mouth washed out with soap? Keep it clean for the kids reading.

Shelli Russell said:
We require kids to be 14 before they can drive a car. They have to learn quite a bit and pass a test to do that. And they pay to take the test and get the license. And they don't get to drive on their own until two years later. How about a license instead of a ban? You'd be creating jobs that way too. You know someone's going to come out of the woodwork to sell classes to pass that test, and you know you can fund a part-time job with those testing and licensing fees. Anyone?
C'mon now. Most of the people who are driving around couldn't pass a driving test.
When did they start this 'testing' that you speak of?
I believe what is prompting all these restrictions is the parents ability to actually parent!
I dont know how this may sound to yall but I know several kids, early teens, live in Bryant, that love to go out with their bb/pellet guns and plink around. If these kids adhere to the ban then they will have nothing to do except get into trouble.
Hurray for Pam! I couldn't have said it better! Thanks for your comments, and the common sense they promote.

Pam Harcrow said:
I am so glad my sons are in their mid 30's!!!!!!

I could not abide raising a child in today's restrictive, "ban-happy" environment. We lived in the city limits of Benton when my boys were little. They shot fireworks every holiday, as did all the other kids, they had BB guns and played with them, they had knives from the time they were practically toddlers, they tried to melt things with magnifying glasses, they obeyed and disobeyed, they got dirty, I spanked their butts when they needed it and hugged them whether they needed it or not!!!

Today, they are productive, responsible, healthy, experienced, well-rounded sportsmen of all sorts, excellent marksmen with bows and firearms, can kill and skin deer and other wildlife, are active, fun to be around, and all around nice guys!!

When I was a young mother, NO one.... ESPECIALLY the City needed to tell me how to raise my kids! The heck of it is, most of you people in City Government were raised exactly like my sons were! That's what I told Ben Blankenship when he was Fire Chief (and mind you, he is a very good friend of mine). I personally remember HIM playing with fireworks when he was little! And Ben's son, Reb, was one of my son's good friends and they had bottle rocket wars with each other!!!!

When did government decide they need to create laws to address every accident? A goose was shot, so now Bryant needs a new ordinance??? There are already civil laws on the books to address situations like this.

Ok.... stepping off my soap box now!! (Not even my city, but geeeez)
LOL!!!!! Everyone else in this discussion is in Pam shadow. She gets it! And for the record, I LOVE that statement, "Dummies don't have to have guns to be dangerous!" BRILLIANT!!

Pam Harcrow said:
Dummies don't have to have guns to be dangerous!

We don't need any new ordinances, laws, rules, bans, regulations, etc. etc. etc. to address anything that might come up with a BB gun or any other weapon... there are plenty to go around already!

Let's keep the whole topic in perspective..... ONE goose was killed!! It's not like we are facing an epidemic!
Thanks for this discussion, Adrian, it's a good one. I cringed when I heard Chief Coffman actually use the phrase, "Put your eye out." Shades of Christmas Story! I actually OWN a collectible, anniversary edition Red Ryder Daisy BB Gun (I collect vintage toys, among other things) and the very idea of passing a LAW regarding a spring air BB gun borders on the ridiculous. A single infraction can occur, and there are people out here ready to rush in and pass laws that the potential violators are going to ignore anyway.

When someone uses a BB gun in an irresponsible way, then hold them responsible. Make them pay for windows broken, or for animals killed or any other act done wrong under law. DO NOT pass laws applying to the rest of us who are capable of purchasing a Daisy field target that even captures BB pellets and aiming a BB gun at it for fun.

I am OPPOSED to any such ordinance, and hope you are too. NO ONE will save the few children who experience injuries by passing an ordinance. Those injuries -- part of life itself, and the random things that happen -- can only be prevented by attentive parents, NOT by new laws that restrict everyone else.

Thanks again, Adrian.
We all remember the saying growing up in Arkansas "Thank God We Are Not Mississippi" well for once I have to say "Thank God this is happening in Bryant and not Benton"

But before I pat the Benton City Council on the back, I have to admit this knee-jerk reaction could very easily happen in Benton as well. Too often, we, the "government types", fall pry to this ploy and play it off as doing something 'good' for the people when it is actually nothing more than a ploy to eliminate and control the populace.

Government is not about control, well our form of government is not suppose to be.

Growing up I wore out multiple BB guns and air rifles. I use to carry one of each down to the creek to shoot minnows, frogs, snakes, etc....But I knew what I was shooting at each and every time I pulled the trigger. That's call "gun control", know your target and know where the shot will land. I also knew that if I hit a car, a house, someones window or someone...my Dad would of destroyed those guns and I never would of be allowed to shot much less even hold one till I left home. My 14 year old son knows that I will also do the same if he does that.

Parental control is needed, not governmental control.
It is just one more way for the government to put their hand on the backs of the people. I know that a lot of folks want a nanny state where the government takes care of everybody and tells them what is right or wrong. This type of thing should not be allowed. It may not be a rights issue. However, it effects the rights of people. I have seen that where the government is concerned if you give them an inch they will try to take ten miles. We need to get involved and not let them do stupid stuff. If it is an issue of a projectile (I think somebody said something about that) then they ought to ban cars, rocks and for that matter, spitting or blowing your nose. Seriously folks, where does it end?
Sorry, after reading my post it seems I deleted some important text. The statement:

play it off as doing something 'good' for the people when it is actually nothing more than a ploy to eliminate and control the populace.

Should of said "play it off as doing something 'good' for the people when it is actually nothing more than a ploy to eliminate RIGHTS and control the populace".

Didn't want anyone out there thinking the government was wanting to eliminate the people...no the black helicopters are not circling....yet.

Doug Stracener said:
We all remember the saying growing up in Arkansas "Thank God We Are Not Mississippi" well for once I have to say "Thank God this is happening in Bryant and not Benton"

But before I pat the Benton City Council on the back, I have to admit this knee-jerk reaction could very easily happen in Benton as well. Too often, we, the "government types", fall pry to this ploy and play it off as doing something 'good' for the people when it is actually nothing more than a ploy to eliminate and control the populace.

Government is not about control, well our form of government is not suppose to be.

Growing up I wore out multiple BB guns and air rifles. I use to carry one of each down to the creek to shoot minnows, frogs, snakes, etc....But I knew what I was shooting at each and every time I pulled the trigger. That's call "gun control", know your target and know where the shot will land. I also knew that if I hit a car, a house, someones window or someone...my Dad would of destroyed those guns and I never would of be allowed to shot much less even hold one till I left home. My 14 year old son knows that I will also do the same if he does that.

Parental control is needed, not governmental control.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Shelli Russell.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service