• Click to see all seven issues on Saline County’s General Election ballot for 2018.
• Click to visit the main page for the 2018 General Election.
The Chambers of Commerce in Benton, Bryant and Hot Springs Village have released a joint statement regarding Issue 6 on the General Election ballot in November. The Chambers state that they, along with the six school districts that serve Saline County (Benton, Bryant, Bauxite, Harmony Grove, Glen Rose and Sheridan), are in agreement to pass a countywide sales and use tax of 0.375% to build a Career and Technical Education (CTE) School.
The chambers will host an informational event on Monday, September 24th.
- Read more in the notice from the chambers
- Read the sample ballot for Issue 6.
- See articles and video explaining the CTE School.
1. NOTICE FROM CHAMBERS
All six school districts, all three Chambers of Commerce, and community leaders in our county have joined together to support Issue 6 which involves the building of the Career Technical Education Center (CTE) in our county. It is the belief of all these leaders that the CTE Center will be a great asset to Saline County and will help keep moving Saline County forward.
Issue 6 on the upcoming general election ballot
- will provide a great opportunity for students of Saline County,
- will also help provide our county with a qualified work force,
- and, thus, will impact economic development greatly in Saline County.
We are asking for your help in our campaign to get Issue 6 passed. We need volunteers who are willing to help share our message with voters across the county. We ask that you join us at 12:00 noon on September 24 at the Benton Event Center for a free lunch and to get more information about the campaign and find out ways that you can be involved in this push to help move Saline County forward.
Let’s TRAIN SALINE County students and encourage them to STAY SALINE in order to improve economic development in our county.
2. SAMPLE BALLOT
Open image to read or read the transcript below.
Issue No. 6
BONDS AND 0.375% (THREE EIGHTHS (3/8) OF ONE (1) PERCENT) SALES AND USE TAX
Vote FOR or AGAINST capital improvements bonds of Saline County, Arkansas (the “County”) in the maximum aggregate principal amount of $43,530,000 to finance all or a portion of the costs of acquiring, constructing, furnishing, equipping and repairing job training facilities, including particularly, without limitation, a career and technical education center and any necessary land acquisition and utility, road, drainage, lighting and parking improvements related thereto or in support thereof, and in order to pay the bongs, the levy and pledge of a 0.375% (Three-Eights (3/8) of One (1) Percent) local sales and use tax within the County. If the bonds are approved, there will be levied within the County a new 0.375% (Three-Eights (3/8) of One (1) Percent) sales and use tax, the net collections of which after the State of Arkansas deducts its administrative charges and required rebates will not be distributed to the municipalities in the the County and will be used by the County to retire or pay obligations with reSpect to the bonds in accordance with Amendment No. 62 to the Arkansas Constitution. The tax will expire after the bonds have been paid or provision is made therefor in accordance with Arkansas statutes. The bonds may be issued at one time or in series from time to time.
- FOR ISSUE NO. 6
- AGAINST ISSUE NO. 6
3. RELATED STORIES
- Video: Cornwell Explains Issue 6 on Ballot – CTE School for the County
- On the November Ballot: Sales Tax for a CTE School
- JUL 6, 2018 – Quorum Court to Meet July 16 – New School, Roads, Grants
- JUN 15, 2018 – County JPs to consider Special Election for CTE School, Court Security, more at Monday Night Meeting
- SEP 26, 2016 – Video: Career Technical School Planned for Saline County to Involve 7 School Districts
- SEP 6, 2016 – Saline County Economic Development Corporation to Host Informational Meeting Regarding Workforce Education
- AUG 17, 2016 – The Public Is Invited Sept 14th to a Presentation for the New School Coming
- FEB 20, 2016 – Big New School Proposed for Saline County for High School Students
- FEB 17, 2016 – Civ & Gov News: A New School, Bauxite K-9, County Website, New Water, Big Red, Shoppes Reveal, Hwy Widening